Pregnancy is a normal, natural life event.
- Pregnancy is a normal, natural life event.
- Women’s bodies are designed to nourish and nurture their babies through pregnancy.
- The months of pregnancy are necessary for babies to develop and grow, for women’s bodies to prepare for birth and breastfeeding, and for women to become mothers.
- Pregnancy provides an opportunity for mothers and fathers to begin forming lifelong bonds with their babies.
- A good support system, a healthy lifestyle and the ability to cope with the stresses of life promote a healthy pregnancy, a healthy birth and a healthy baby.
- The health-care system and care provider can increase or decrease a woman’s confidence in the normality of pregnancy and in her ability to have a healthy baby.
- Lamaze education helps women to gain confidence in their bodies, to trust their innate ability to give birth and to make informed decisions about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and parenting
- Birth is normal, natural and healthy.
- Women have an innate ability to give birth.
- The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families.
- Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of birth.
- Women have the right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
- Birth can safely take place in homes, birth centers and hospitals.
- Lamaze childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in healthcare and take responsibility for their health, and to trust their innate ability to give birth
- Positive parenting is vital to the physical, emotional and spiritual health of our children, ourselves and our society.
- A safe, healthy birth experience provides a strong foundation for parenting.
- Parenting is joyful, important, challenging and deeply satisfying work that is worthy of everyone’s best efforts.
- Parenting begins before birth. The intimate connection between children and their parents must be respected and protected from the moment of birth and throughout life.
- Parents play unique, irreplaceable roles in their children’s lives.
- Babies and children thrive in close, consistent interaction with their parents.
- Parenting is a learned art; our most important teachers are our own parents, our family and our children.
- Good parenting requires the support of family, friends and community.
- Knowledge and support enhance parents’ confidence and ability to make informed decisions that meet the needs of their children and themselves.